2018 Catalina Island 5-Day Workshop
Monday, January 15th thru Friday, January 19th
This may be the last opportunity for this workshop. It is an ideal destination to beat the winter blues and learn some great things along the way!
Schedule for the week:
- Sunday, Jan 14th Orientation Dinner (Steve's Steakhouse, 6:30pm)
- Monday, Jan 15th Lecture & Demo
- Tuesday, Jan 16th Painting Avalon Harbor
- Wednesday, Jan 17th Painting Avalon Harbor
- Thursday, Jan 18th Trip to Shark Harbor, (Back side of island) weather permitting
$20-25 bus fee for round trip (cost depends on the number of students going)
- Friday, Jan 19th painting from high points above Avalon Harbor
Cost: $875, make checks payable to: Joseph Paquet Studio, LLC.
Transportation, Meals and Hotel are the responsibility of each student.
Airline Tickets: I recommend an early morning flight to Orange County Airport (John Wayne) as you will need a shuttle and boat. Plan to arrive on Saturday or Sunday.
* Remember, you will need a plane, shuttle and boat, so apportion your time accordingly.
Shuttle and Boat to Catalina Island: You can save by getting both tickets through Karmel Shuttle 1.888.995.7433.
The shuttle takes approximately 1 hour to “The Landing” at Long Beach for the Catalina Express Boat. You must be there 1 hour prior to boat departure and off-season boat departures are reduced so call for schedule.
Required Materials List
- Good Field Easel or Tripod based Pochade Box
- Painting Umbrella (Artwork Essentials in Irvine California has the best I've used)
- White – Cremnitz or Titanium (your choice)
- Cadmium Yellow Light (Old Holland or Rembrant)
- Cadmium Yellow (Winsor Newton)
- Cadmium Orange (Winsor Newton)
- Cadmium Scarlet or Cadmium Red Light (Winsor Newton)
- Alizarin Crimson (Winsor Newton)
- Manganese Blue (Old Holland or Bloxx)
- Cobalt Blue (Winsor Newton)
- Ultramarine Blue (Winsor Newton)
- Ivory Black (Winsor Newton)
- Raw Umber (Winsor Newton. For Toning Panels)
- Pthalo Green (Old Holland or Gamblin)
- Painting Medium – 50/50 Mixture of Cold Pressed Linseed Oil & Gamsol or Turpenoid. (Keep in a separate bottle)
- Palette Cups
- Paper Towels
- Garbage Bags
- Palette Knives (2)
- Brushes - Long Bristle Flats or Filberts (Two each, #2, #4, #6, #8, #10)
- Panels (your choice) Sizes: 8x10”, 9x12”, 11x14”, 12x16” (or metric equivalent)
Plan on two paintings each day. Panels should be toned with a light imprimatura of Raw Umber & White. As for value, think Mocha!
- Brush Washer (Be sure to keep it double bagged in ziplock bags)
- Sennelier Gel 'N Dry – This is ideal to mix with your white when traveling to ensure bringing home dry panels.
- Panel Box – to safly transport panels
To Register for the Catalina Workshop
Enrollment is limited, so do not hesitate to register. Registration forms (available here) must be completed in full and accompanied by a check to reserve your position in class.