Madeline Island, WI
5-Day Plein Air Workshop
This will be my tenth year teaching at Madeline Island School of the Arts.
Aug 21st - 25th, 2023 (Monday - Friday)
This is a great destination workshop. There is plenty of variety to paint and the staff does an incredible job keeping you comfortable at the School. The facility is top notch.
This workshop will introduce you to the Prismatic Palette and its use in helping you capture the myriad light effects you are faced with when painting en plein air. Correct use of the Prismatic Palette will help you judge values, using warm and cool tones to bring things forward and to push things back, and to depict light and shade, and to describe the type and time of day.
The first day, I will lecture and paint a demo explaining my process. The rest of the week will be spent outdoors painting my favorite Island locations. Students can expect to paint two images daily — one in the morning, and another in the afternoon.
Key factors such as rhythmic-connected drawing, underpainting, creating a profound sense of atmosphere and effectively using greens will be discussed. I will work with you individually at your easel to address compositional and color issues, and will provide careful critique.
Note to students: Teaching is tailored to your level so all levels are welcome. My only requirement is that you enter the class humble to nature and open to new information.
Required Materials List
- Good Field Easel or Tripod based Pochade Box
- Painting Umbrella (Artwork Essentials in Irvine California has the best I've used)
- White – Cremnitz or Titanium (your choice)
- Cadmium Yellow Light (Old Holland or Rembrant)
- Cadmium Yellow (Winsor Newton)
- Cadmium Orange (Winsor Newton)
- Cadmium Scarlet or Cadmium Red Light (Winsor Newton)
- Alizarin Crimson (Winsor Newton)
- Manganese Blue (Old Holland or Bloxx)
- Cobalt Blue (Winsor Newton)
- Ultramarine Blue (Winsor Newton)
- Ivory Black (Winsor Newton)
- Raw Umber (Winsor Newton. For Toning Panels)
- Pthalo Green (Old Holland or Gamblin)
- Painting Medium – 50/50 Mixture of Cold Pressed Linseed Oil & Gamsol or Turpenoid. (Keep in a separate bottle)
- Palette Cups
- Paper Towels
- Garbage Bags
- Palette Knives (2)
- Brushes - Long Bristle Flats or Filberts (Two each, #2, #4, #6, #8, #10)
- Panels (your choice) Sizes: 8x10”, 9x12”, 11x14”, 12x16” (or metric equivalent)
Plan on two paintings each day. Panels should be toned with a light imprimatura of Raw Umber & White. As for value, think Mocha!
- Brush Washer (Be sure to keep it double bagged in ziplock bags)
- Sennelier Gel 'N Dry – This is ideal to mix with your white when traveling to ensure bringing home dry panels.
- Panel Box – to safly transport panels
Visit this page on the MISA website to register.
Or contact: MISA, (P) 715.747.2054 or e-mail email@example.com